Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Battling roach question (and the tenant/landlord)...help?!?

My landlady informed the building (6 units) that 1R was infested and gave us all bombs to set off will-nilly. I spoke of my concern of the poision and danger, ineffectivess, etc. She had no intention of sending an exterminator. I did mine on my own ..7 days later I am still working on it.


I have cleaned, sealed up all the cracks I find. I have thrown out all small appliances, rugs, etc. ALL my food has been wiped down and ziplocked..I dont even eat in my house at this point. I can't anyway.





4 days after giving us the bombs, I give baits etc to the neighbor, in the halls, etc... Landlady still never came to check on status.. Calls and complaints kept coming but she kept talking junk..lies





The apartment is basically in squaler (landlady saw it too).. They have not really cleaned their place since bombing or before. The lease holder is a Sect 8 man dying of AIDS whose girlfriend then set off 9 bombs in one day. She and he remained inside as she set them off. Of course the problem escalated. The roaches swarmed the rest of the building.





So It is a big mess trying to get any resolution from 1R and my landlady is being passive, claiming she can't do anything about it.





I have a complaint in with Housing Preservation (I am in Brooklyn) as per 311 operator, but still no inspector.





The girlfriend of the tenant is now ill from the poison. They are unresponsive to our calls.





My landlady gives each of us different stories and says none of this is her fault, it is 1R and the rest of us not cooperating....





6 days later, after fighting to get a large, old leak fixed (below 1R's bathroom) and getting the carpets cleaned in the hall, our landlady then brought over DuPont advion baits.





It is now 8 days later. She says her husband is having surgery on Monday and only call if there is an emergency and maybe she'll call us back...





My situation has improved, but how do we get the tenant to clean or get them out? Obviously he is not being well cared for. I tried calling Adult Protective Services, but they are closed til Monday.








There is more but this is the gist...I may have left some things out, just ask.





Thanks for any advice.





Peace,





|||Go to the county court and ask about laws for this. Things happen hundreds of times faster in person. If people are getting ill because of her neglect towards you, she is crossing legal lines.|||Health dept.


Does your city have a slum landlord hot line?


Move may be your best bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment